Zero Tolerance Abuse Policy
As a registered massage therapist I am committed to providing a safe, secure and respectful environment for all clients. Working out of a multidisciplinary clinic, I am privileged to be working with professionals that share these values and are committed to upholding them as well.
There is absolutely zero tolerance for any conduct that causes any individual to feel at genuine risk of harm. In all such situations, the offending individual will be asked to immediately leave the premises and if a client, they will be immediately discharged from the practice with no option of returning in the future. Details of the discharge will be conducted through mail to ensure confidentiality is maintained as per the Regulated Health Professions Act 1991 c. 18 s. 36, and the client involved will have an opportunity to respond and ask questions through mail only.
In circumstances where there is physical contact without consent (e.g. grabbing, spitting, pushing, etc), a police report will generally be filed to ensure appropriate records are maintained.
Myself and my partners at Focus Personal Fitness Studio strive to treat individuals with respect and professionalism in all interactions, and we expect and require the same in return. This includes conduct whether in person, by phone, in writing, or by voicemail.
Exemplary conduct which is unacceptable includes but is not limited to:
- attempts to sexualize the therapeutic relationship
- throwing or damaging property
- inappropriate words
- abusive language
- disrespectful or demeaning language or conduct
- discriminatory remarks
- threats or threatening behaviour
No further warnings will be given for these behaviours, as mentioned previously abusive conduct is grounds for immediate discharge from Jessica Ryan Massage Therapy. This policy is in accordance with the College of Massage Therapists’ Standards of Practice #16, Code of Ethics Principle 4 Part i Section I, and the legislation that is the foundation of such articles.
Moving forward, massage therapy will look a little different during COVID-19 than it did before. Of course, I promise that you can still count on the same level of care and attention that you’ve received from me in the past.
I have reviewed my policies and strengthened them where needed in accordance with recommendations from the Ministry of Health of Ontario and the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO). I will be asking for your cooperation in these policies. Please take the time to read the following:
- Please wait outside the building or in your vehicle until your scheduled appointment time. I have a very thorough cleaning process between clients and want to make sure the clinic is properly cleaned before you step foot inside.
- Five minutes before your scheduled appointment time please call 613-544-7999. This is so I can ask you a few questions as part of our active COVID-19 screening process. If we must reschedule your appointment due to this screening there will be no cancellation fee. You can click on the following link to self screen before you book your appointment: COVID-19 Active Screening Questions
- Also a gentle reminder to please arrive on time for your appointment. The length of time necessary to clean between appointments has increased and thus I need to end appointments on time in order to stay on schedule.
- Hand sanitizer will be available and the new standards require you to sanitize your hands before & after your treatment. The College of Massage Therapists recommends that you wear either a cloth or medical mask to your appointment, if tolerated and does not impair breathing. I will be wearing a medical mask during the course of your treatment and anytime we are within the 2 meter distance.
Even before COVID-19, I maintained excellent hygiene practices as required by my regulatory college. In light of the current climate, I have strengthened these policies.
All surfaces used or touched during treatment will be cleaned using the “wipe-twice” (first to clean and again to disinfect) method between clients. I will be using a disinfectant approved by the Ministry of Health for use during COVID-19.
Any items that cannot be easily cleaned or do not have a washable cover such as upholstered fabric have been removed from the clinic.
I have completed Public Health Ontario’s online modules for “Infection Prevention and Control Fundamentals”.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out. I am always open and available to hear you.